Saturday, September 20, 2008

Another F1 Race Car (Renault)

F1 fever seemed to have hit town. Everywhere I turn my head, I seemed to encounter something related to F1. The first being the notice hanging at the bus stop outside my work place. Yes, road diversion ahead from Sept 23 to the end of it though some roads will be affected from Sept 20.

The grandstand or whatever you call it are up near the Suntec or Padang area. The lights were turned on too, shining ever so brightly at 7:10pm when my bus went past. Besides the race car I saw in Raffles City a few weeks ago, here is another car right outside Marriott Hotel. I think it is a replica of those driven by Renault F1 drivers. It is just another way to bring the hype to the people.

While I can appreciate how this is adding more life and buzz to Singapore, it is also a bit of a hassle, especially for those who work in or near the area. It was tough enough to get into Suntec during the IMF in 2006, I wonder how the public (without any tickets) can enter Suntec again when F1 is on.

I looked at the map printed in papers and read about which roads are closed and the diversion to occur, but I am still clueless. It is just not so very clear at all. Anyway, I will probably steer clear of the area during the event and let the tourists have the space. Just like what the City of Vancouver is telling its residents. Please leave the city during the Winter Olympics in 2010 so that visitors can have the space. (I am not making this up, this was said by the mayor or someone else. Not enough hotels to cater to the estimated visitors, with a few new hotels being built currently, and many Vancouverites being asked to rent out their rooms or homes during the period and I know a few people who intend to travel out to avoid the crush).

I think I can still hear the noise even though I can see the track out from my office building. We shall see what happens next week.

No comments: