Friday, September 19, 2008

MoF - Ministry of Food @ Bugis Junction

I have heard a fair bit about MoF but just never really got the chance to sample their food. it was always crowded when I walked past. We decided to order take-out from MoF for a company lunch as the prices were pretty reasonable and within our budget. The service was pretty good and the person who took our order was able to recommend certain dishes and upon knowing we had a budget to adhere to, also helped us with our selection.

While we were waiting for our food, we were asked to take a seat at the table twice. I refused the first time as we were not eating there and it was lunch time. But after being asked the 2nd time, I acquiesced and took a seat. We were given a pot of tea (very pretty) and the tea cups were already on the table. I quite liked the fact that the menus were available under the table top. The food was good and the service was great so I went back to MoF again that same day for dinner with my friend.

I ordered the iced lemon tea. Lovely presentation but it tasted awful. I forgot to check if it would be freshly brewed tea since I disliked any other types. It was either from instant mix or something from Lipton or Seasons or whatever. They do not serve iced water but do serve warm water (I don't understand this logic). Apparently the pot of tea does cost (though I was not charged at all when waiting for my take-out order).
D ordered the kakiage sukiyaki which was not bad.
I had the kakiage cold soba. The soba was a bit floury tasting. Miso soup was good and the kakiage was freshly done. Not cold or soggy.
Topped up to a dessert - macha mixed imo (soft served ice cream drizzled with green tea sauce, deep fried yam ball and deep fried sweet potato ball with red beans). I prefer the sweet potato ball. Nice.

The service for dinner was pretty bad, quite disappointing especially since I had a good encounter earlier in the day. The main server for our table was someone from China. Unfortunately she did not understand much English and I didn't understand her Mandarin (there are always subtle differences in Mandarin from China and Singapore) so it was tough trying to understand what she was saying. Even when I asked if she can speak English or get someone else who can speak English, she kinda just stood there and continued speaking in Mandarin. I have no issue with foreign servers but it can get very trying when you are unable to get your point across.

The bad service continued when another guy came over to serve us another plate of sashimi when we already had it and our dessert was already on the table. Errr....didn't the waiter notice that at all? Then while we were still eating, another guy came over with the bill (not even for our table).

I guess they need to train the staff better for the evening crowd as the staff for lunch was so much more equipped to handle a full house.

No comments: