Monday, September 14, 2009

2nd Visit to Dian Xiao Er @ VivoCity

We went to Dian Xiao Er again as I felt like having the roasted duck. We were there around 630pm and managed to get a table pretty quickly despite the long line. I guessed it helped that they allowed you to look at the menu and order while waiting for the table. Plus there were only 2 of us and their policy of only seating full parties ensured a steady turnover of customers.

We decided on the set meal where the number of dishes corresponded to the number of persons in your party. We had 5 items including rice.
First up was the soup of the day ~ pork ribs with lotus roots soup. It was actually very nice and reminded me of the soup my grandma used to cook. I liked how red dates were added to lend sweetness to the soup. The pork was fairly tender and the lotus root was crunchy.
I just loved the baby kailan with lime and salted fish. There were cut chilies in there too to up the spice factor. The tart and savory taste of the veggies went so well with the rice.

We got to choose between the Mongolian pork ribs and the Dong Po meat (braised pork belly) and we selected the pork ribs as reviews likened the sauce to be spicy like black pepper sauce with hint of coffee. I liked it! It was so yummy and the meat was generous too.


Finally, the duck. It was the duck in Angelica (tang gui) sauce. The duck was still tender and not so gamey, but the Angelica sauce was ok. I liked herby type of sauce and I much preferred what I had previously - the 10 herbs sauce. Maybe I liked dark colored gravy better than this pale colored gravy.

It was just too much food for 2 persons or girls, I wondered if we had a party of 3 girls, they would allow us to order the set for 2 persons or it had to go to 3 persons set. In any case, Dian Xiao Er could be my new favorite Chinese restaurant for simple fare and duck.

4 comments:

celest said...

it's a nice place for a simple cozy meal. i think i liked the soup best :)

carolyn said...

Hehehe. I think I like all the food I tried so far. Nothing is really terrible or off.

Unknown said...

I love the the dong po meat, the XO fried rice and the duck of course... yum! I miss this place.. let's do it together next time... more pp, more variety^^

carolyn said...

yes, yes, let's. Tanny was just saying we should go there next time and suggested the T3 outlet. I don't mind :)