Monday, September 21, 2009

Gusttimo Gelato, ION Orchard

I finally succumbed and tried the gelato from Gusttimo over at ION Orchard.

One word: Mistake!

Two words: Don't try!

Three words: Not worth it!

I am not an ice cream connoisseur but I do know what I like and this is so not it. In the current ice cream/gelato world of many "home-made" ice cream stores sprouting up across the island, many would encourage you to try the different flavors before deciding on your order. Gusttimo staff standby not with tester spoons, but with the ice cream scoop. It gives you the impression that you cannot try the many different flavors available.

Maybe that is their tactic as if people get to try before buying, they would never order any at all. So I ordered all mine without testing. I based my choices on the description of the gelato. Again, you need to have 3 flavors for $5.90. I am not sure if that is really a good marketing tool for them since the 3 I had were not that nice at all.

I had the Dolcissimo (pecans + brownie), Cioccolato (dark chocolate) and Caffe (coffee).

Cioccolato (dark chocolate): How could anyone go wrong with dark chocolate, right? I almost always order dark chocolate at any ice cream place. This was really dark and bitter. It was too strong and being gelato, it was not very creamy which was fine with me. But when you compared to Bravassimo's version, they were poles apart in taste and texture.

Caffe (coffee): Again, coffee is usually a safe choice. This was not it. It was not quite 100% right, though I could not put a finger on it.

Dolcissimo (pecans + brownie): It was by far the worst. I was sorely disappointed as I was expecting a nutty taste plus the sticky chewiness of a brownie. Instead I got a very strong almond essence flavor in it. How in the world does almond essence factor into this flavor? It was like having almond jelly dessert in the gelato.

This will definitely be the first and last time I will try the gelato.

3 comments:

red fir said...

Totally agree! And I thought I was the only one who think Gusttimo's gelato is bad. I like Venezia's gelato, have you tried? The dark chocolate is very good. My favorite is hazelnut, gianduja and yoggi.

stardust979 said...

Ohh...will avoid eating that then. thanks for the tip very sorry to hear about the bad experience :(...anywhere else you recommend?

carolyn said...

ice: glad i'm not the only one who feels that way too :) Yes, I have tried Venezia and I like the dark chocolate too. I think my default flavor is always dark chocolate :p

stardust: yes, it is really a disappointment, especially since it does looks nice. For gelato, pretty much other places (the one outside Isetan Scotts, Bravissimo and Venezia) are ok. For ice cream, I like Island Creamery and Tom's Palette. I recently tried Udders and while not too bad, it felt a tad watery? The full flavor did not get through and was not creamy enough.