Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Stolen? Gone like the wind...

I was waiting for the bus at the bus stop across my place when I suddenly realized my ezlink card was gone.

So I had my bag containing 2 books, my card case with the ezlink card and gym card in it, key pouch, wallet and phone. Not many things like usual since I was only going to my interchange to return the books. I also had a bag with a pair of pants to be altered.

I sat down at the bus stop, opened my bag and put in the phone (I was on the phone earlier), and took out the card case with the ezlink card. I placed the card next to me and opened the bag to check on the pants, then I put my hand next to me to get the card case and came up with nothing.

Puzzled, I thought I must not have taken it out and that it was inside the bag, so I started searching my bag and the plastic bag with the pants in it. At the same time, I noticed an old lady in her 50s or 60s rummaging inside her red plastic bag (like Bee Cheng Hiang type of bag) the entire time I was searching my own bag. She arrived shortly after I sat down.

Then the bus came (feeder bus type which would go to the interchange/mrt) and she got on it. I stayed behind and continued searching. I took out everything in my bag, I looked around the seating area, I retraced my steps back home. Nada, zilch, nothing.

I got home and checked the bag which I was using before transferring the items into the current bag, thinking I could be mistaken in remembering I did put the card case in. I dumped the entire content and there was none to be found.

That was when it dawned on me that the old lady could be the culprit who took my cardcase since there were only 2 of there waiting at the bus stop. I regretted not asking her if she had seen it when I was searching my bag. How coincidental was it that while I was searching my bag, she was also digging into her own bag? It seemed like she didn't want to look up in case I make eye contact with her. So I never got a good look at her. I could only remember her hair was permed curly and short like a typical old woman, and dressed in usual nondescript floral or print type of clothes in muted dull neutral color. She must live around my place since she got on the bus which only traveled around the area.

So I decided to make a police report, not that I would get back the ezlink card. But I hoped to get back my card case and maybe my gym card. The ezlink card could be replaced, the value was not much, probably $20+ as I had topped up recently.

I was more upset about losing the card case which was a coral pink from Tod's. It would no longer be available so I could not even get a replacement at all. I guessed I just grew attached to it even though it was old and slightly dirty. Not as bright coral pink as when it was new, but a duller coral pink.

I hoped the receipt tucked inside the case contained no personal information. I only remembered I kept the receipt because it showed the expiry date of my old ezlink card which I had since changed to the new version.

Reflecting on the loss, I think it would be a toss up if I was to lose the card case + ezlink card + gym card or my phone. It is always my habit to put my phone or card next to me when I open my bag. So I guessed I was lucky that my phone was already in the bag, otherwise it would have been my phone to go missing.

Guess it is a lesson learnt. Never ever put anything next to you, someone could just swipe it away from you and you are none the wiser.

It is sad that the society is really not that safe after all. And low crime really does not mean no crime.

2 comments:

stardust979 said...

Oh dear, very sorry to hear about the theft. Singapore is not safe as it sounds. Especially in bad times now, theft is getting more commonplace.

I remembered a few years ago, I was using a replacement (old model) handphone, put it in the pocket of my backpack, and next thing, I took out my bag and the zipper was open. Phone gone. :(

I heard now the crime is syndicated and anyone from old ladies to innocent looking students. Do be careful, hope you catch the culprit!

carolyn said...

Thanks :) That is awful for you too, to lose the phone. I hate losing my phone too.

I guess the economy is still really bad. Others have also told me stories of people losing their bags, passports, laptop bags even when they were hanging on to them.

I guess we just have to be more vigilant and really keep our stuff close to us.