Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Quiznos Sub, Orchard Central

I have heard so much about Quiznos Sub, especially when I was back in Canada in 2007. Friends were raving about it, but somehow I did not get to try it in the few months I was living there. Submarine sandwiches did not factor in my dietary craving at all. I was more interested in having my fill of fresh and huge slices of sashimi and sushi, and bowls of pho.

Truly, that was always the case in Canada. I hardly ate burgers, pizzas, pastas, hotdogs and subs at all. It seemed like I would have one Western meal to 3 or 4 Japanese/Vietnamese meals. Of course, when one is living there, you do not eat out all the time too. It is so different from living in Singapore where eating out is so convenient and pretty affordable.

So it was good news when I learnt that Quiznos Sub has made its way onto our shores. I did not try it then since Far East Square was not convenient for me. The 2nd outlet at Orchard Central was more do-able even though it still took a few months before I finally got to sink my teeth into it.

Orchard Central is really a badly designed mall and is not very friendly at all. Signages are almost non-existent, unless I am blind. Anyway, I finally found Quiznos Sub on the 3rd level of the building, where Tully's Coffee was also brought in by the "good" people of Far East Organization.

I decided on the Prime Rib Cheesesteak sub and topped up to a meal. Besides the drink, you get a choice of salad, soup, cookie and chips. I chose the Chicken Noodle Soup. That was decently hearty and the pasta was short and round. Interesting.


Now the pièce de résistance of the meal ~ Zesty Cheesesteak Sub ~ it was simply mind-blowing. I loved the toasty bread with hints of Parmesan and herbs. The beef slices were tender and meaty with mustard and cheese to complete a simple but extremely satisfying meal.

After the meat and cheese were assembled on the bread, it went through an oven toaster which resembled those conveyor grilling belt (similar to those found in breakfast buffet in hotels to toast the bread). At the other side of the oven would be another staff to add the veggies and sauces before it was served to the customer. Neat.

I would say it is definitely one of the better places for delicious and hearty sandwiches. Much better than Subway whose standards seemed to have been traveling south for the last few years. Maybe this would make it sit up and take notice.

Next thing to try would be Tully's Coffee.

3 comments:

^cherie said...

i'm SO gonna try this!!

i love sandiwches of all kindsss!

carolyn said...

you HAVE to! hehehehe. it's sooooo delicious! I'm still salivating over it. May go try another sandwich on Friday :)

celest said...

wow. the serving is sooo generous! i'm salivating just looking at the pic. yum. must remember to try when i'm in the area :)

Tully's make me miss Seattle, though I never stepped into one, kept seeing the stores around when I was there...