Friday, September 11, 2009

Rose Veranda Again (Shangri-La)

I totally forgot I had promised a friend we would go to Rose Veranda at Shangri-La until she told me she had already applied for leave. Luckily I was able to reserve a table as it was quite full. Most tables were reserved for the afternoon tea session, not many were like us who just stayed there for the entire day.

This was the first time I actually tried the caesar salad and it was the right decision. The salad was so fresh. The crisp and crunchy green lettuce looked so appetizing and whoever did the mixing did a marvelous job of maintaining a balance of the dressing, anchovies and bacon with the greens. I loved it!

As usual, I needed my sandwiches. The mini brioche was nice, but not its pairing of tomato slices with brie (or was it camembert). It just tasted wrong. In the end, I added smoked salmon to the brioche and removed the cheese and that made it so much better. The slightly sweet bread with the savory smoked salmon.

The layout of the food had changed and the sushi and sashimi were kept in a chiller at a corner next to the soup section.

We decided to break for dessert after the cold items. Macaroon was nice, as was the tiramisu and chocolate mousse thing. The creme brulee was not that great as the sugar was too thick and it stuck to the teeth.

We shared the cake and the chocolate mousse cake was still my favorite. It was so soft by the time I got to it that it just fell on its side. The black forest cake and strawberry shortcake were not too bad either.

The hot food. I was not particularly tempted by them though I liked the siew mai and samosa. The drumlet was not too bad and the roasted potato was soggy. Maybe it had been in the warmer for too long with the cover down, resulting in a steaming effect?

Took a break of about an hour and then tried the tom yam noodle which was not nice at all. So I hardly touched it. The soup was not very tom yam-y as it lacked the fiery and sourish punch. It was a bit bland. Only the prawn was nice. Big and juicy and crunchy and sweet.

My last plate. I still preferred the samosas though the black pepper prawns with the yellow rice were not too bad. The cheese tart was average and the dumplings were quite hard by the time I took them.
After about 3 to 4 pots of different types of tea out of the 102 choices available, I switched to coffee. I ordered the Viennesse Coffee which was black coffee with whipped cream.

I totally forgot whipped cream was sweet and added 2 sugar cubes, making the coffee very sweet. Good thing I have a sweet tooth ;p I loved how Rose Verandah served the sugar cubes which were individually wrapped. That was so hygenic though probably not very environmentally friendly.

I still think Rose Veranda is a nice place to just chill on a weekday if you have the entire aftenoon free and just wanted to get away from it all. The food is not special but the highlight is more in the place and the choices of tea available.

No comments: