Saturday, September 12, 2009

Lunch at The Line, Shangri-La

It has been some time since I last went to The Line at Shangri-La. Somehow I just never really went back despite liking the food. One thing is certain, 17 stations are just too many and are mind-boggling. I can really never get to try everything, the eyes are always greedier than the tummy :p I was there for lunch on Monday and the spread was still huge, but with slightly less items than the dinner. My cold dish - the oysters were freshly shucked and super sweet. Plump and firm and sweet. I have not tasted such wonderful oysters in a long time. The tuna and salmon sashimi were usual. After watching The Cove, I kept thinking of the mercury content in tuna. According to a website where you could check how much mercury content is in a fish, tuna has a pretty high content too, particularly those nice cuts like otoro. Oops.
The Italian plate - the caesar salad was nice, but not as good as the one I had at Rose Veranda. The gnocchi in herb cream sauce was not too bad. I liked the pumpkin risotto which was a bit sweet. The pizza was a bit soft so it was not fantastic at all.

The roast beef was ultra delicious. I recently fell in love with roast beef and this was excellent. The tender juicy pink meat was not bloody at all and the think slice made it easier to chew too. The mustard and gravy went so well with the beef. I wished I had taken another slice. The roast potatoes were ok as was the cereal salmon.


The Indian plate - masala chicken was yummy and the naan was so nice with the spinach and eggplants. The fish was so-so. The chicken satay was grilled on the spot and was tender soft. Very nice.

Dessert time. The creme brulee was so much better when compared to Rose Veranda. It was topped with a thin layer of burnt sugar which cracked easily and was great with the creamy custard. The macaroon was not too bad. The chocolate log cake was so so so good. Dark chocolate mousse. Yummy.

I was so filled up after the Indian food but still made room for ice cream :p I tried the chocolate, strawberry and green tea with cookies crumbs topping. The ice cream was average. I much prefer the ice cream selection at Ritz Carlton Greenhouse.

So I still didn't get to try quite a lot of things. The local noodles station which people have raved about the wanton noodles and prawn mee soup. I also didn't get to the dim sum and Chinese section. There were more sushi and salad and cold seafood and desserts which I could only see and not eat.

A big THANK YOU to my friend who wanted to cheer me up by getting me out of the house. We had already agreed to meet for lunch and I thought we would be going to a coffeeshop near our homes. Instead she said to go to town (and she disliked going to town!) as she wanted to treat me to a nice meal since she knew I was feeling a bit down then. When I heard that, I was touched and immediately felt better as I certainly did not expect it at all.

I feel so blessed and thankful to be surrounded by good friends who are there for me in their own ways. I love you all :)

2 comments:

stardust979 said...

Oh dear, are you feeling better now? Nothing like good food to make one happy again! :) It's times like this that friends are the best! Do rest well and have a good weekend! :)

carolyn said...

Yes, I am. Thanks for asking :) You have a great weekend too!