Friday, December 07, 2007

Comfort Food - Baby Porridge


I am getting so much better at making baby porridge. I still remembered the very first time I made it in Oakville back in 1994. I burnt so many pots of porridge. There was no rice cooker then (poor student), so we cooked rice using the pot.

The pot was not non-stick, so the rice will stick to the bottom of the pot and get burnt if the heat is not right. Well, you just learn by trial and error.

I used to get the mushy effect (HK style) by using the masher. I will mash the carrots and rice together. The usual way is through cooking it for a long time on low fire, simmering on the stove. That is when you will get the watery, gruel like effect. Smooth and can slide down your throat.

Today, I was feeling a bit peckish and didn't feel like having anything heavy or too processed. So the baby porridge it is. I was quite surprised it took only an hour or so to get the soft mushy effect without any use of masher. I think if you used lots of water, it would get mushy on its own.

Minced pork and peas porridge
Ingredients
:
minced pork, seasoned with ground pepper and soy sauce
peas (frozen is fine)
spring onions
1 egg
salt
seasame oil

Method:
Place rice grains in pot with water and bring to a boil. Once it hit boiling point, reduce heat and simmer for 45mins or so.
Prepare the meat and veggies
When the congee is at the desired consistency, add meat, peas and spring onions
Continue to stir to cook the meat
Add salt to taste
Add egg into the congee and stir
Add seasame oil

When stirring, the rice will break up further, giving a smoother consistency. When it reached the desired state, remove from heat and serve.

I like to sprinkle fried shallots on it, and have it with marmite or spicy preserved beancurd.

No comments: