Friday, May 02, 2008

Brunch @ Hediard

I had breakfast or rather brunch since it was already 12+ when we really got down to eating last Saturday at Hediard. A small cozy eatery and store specializing in fine French food and luxury gifts, tucked away along Tanglin Road where the row of Tudor Court is.
We managed to get the table by the window (only table by the window as the place is so tiny you can only place 3 tables along 1 side of the wall - window, wall, door) and looking out of the window and sipping your cafe au lait, you could almost imagine yourself in Paris or somewhere :p
The cafe area with around 10 tables or so. Dark wood furniture with red walls. It was pretty crowded with most people streaming in around 1pm or so. Almost full house, I would say. There were many children that day too though it was not a totally kids-friendly place. It is quite a perfect place for a tête à tête, just watching the world goes by.

JK's choice of breakfast - Eggs Norwegian: poached eggs on toast with Norwegian smoked salmon and hollandaise sauce. It sure does look good. I miss the eggs benedicte from Marmalade Pantry. I was torn between having the eggs benedicte or the breakfast set. In the end, I chose the breakfast set.
I had a choice of coffee, tea and hot chocolate and hot chocolate it was, upon the recommendation of the server. Fantastic chocolate. It was so rich I felt I was drinking a block of melted chocolate bar, very fine chocolate bar that is. It was so smooth and not overly sugary sweet at all. It was a total chocolate meltdown. I added the milk towards the end, and it didn't dilute the thick chocolate at all. The very best hot chocolate I ever had.
My breakfast set in its full glory. The egg and juice came later. So what was in the set? Well, besides the choice of hot beverage, there was the orange juice, a 30gm pot of jam and a 30gm pot of honey with butter to go with the 2 slices of toast. I also got a choice of broiche, croissant and pain au chocolat. Half-boiled egg served in a cup and a saucer of salt to sprinkle for taste.
The pain au chocolat was really really good. Flaky crust with fine chocolate inside. Heaven. The toast was a bit too hard for my liking. It was so hard to bite through and chew, then again I prefer soft food :p

Half-boiled egg. I have not had a half boiled egg sitting in a cup for so long. The egg was cooked to perfection. The yolk was not runny but it was not too hard either. It was just right. Very nicely done.
I couldn't resist and ordered a large macaroon of the day. There were 2 choices - chocolate mint or something caramel. I decided on the chocolate mint. I thought it would be green with chocolate in the center. But pretty presentation nonetheless.
The Hediard is a chocolate. See the "hairy" raspberry. Somehow, chocolate always goes very well with raspberry.
Yummy macaroon. Crispy shell melted into nothing and left with a chewy softness. It was very nice. A bit too much though after the hot chocolate and pain au chocolat but would definitely go well with a pot of tea or coffee.
We decided not to waste the little pots of jam and honey and asked for them to go. They kindly packed them for us. It seemed to be the norm to do that as almost every table has this little red bag on the table to go :p You can also request for a choice of jam. I was initially given apricot but I preferred strawberry and asked for that. My bag was crumpled as it was sitting in my purse for a couple of days being squished.
I would love to go back to Hediard for the set lunch which is available on weekdays only. There are so many other things I want to try - soup, salad, sandwich (3 Ss).
Location:
Hediard Café-Boutique
123-125 Tanglin Road
Phone Booking: +65 6333 6683
Everyday:9am-8pm

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

the only place that i know selling fig jam here, even though the price tag is not friendly.
i was wondering what they are selling in the cafe and thanks for your review, they look good!

carolyn said...

Is fig jam nice? I noticed so many nice thing in the shop area but like you mention, very fine price tag indeed.

Anonymous said...

Fig jam is good. They are not as sweet as others and usually i will have it with cheese too.
My first encounter with fig jam was in Australia with blue cheese in tow.
If you don't take blue cheese, others are fine.
I remember Hediards sells 2 types of fig jam - green and brown. Heard the green one has sourish flavour.

carolyn said...

That sounds like an interesting combination. Do you serve it with crackers then?

Anonymous said...

no, i need 'heavier' intake
hahahaha..
with bread.