Saturday, May 03, 2008

Family Day @ Plaza Market Cafe

It was family day last Sunday and we went to Plaza Market Cafe for lunch (brunch for me :p). Our reservation was for 1230pm and we got there around 1215 and the place was closed! There was already many people waiting outside, wondering if the restaurant would open at all as the opening hours stated on the door was 12noon.

Maybe there are still some hiccups to be ironed over when Raffles the Plaza became Fairmont Singapore early this year. I have never really seen Plaza Market Cafe shut its doors since it is usually the place where breakfast is served for hotel guests. Now it doesn't seem like it. I tried calling the restaurant to check it is still open (despite the fact they did call me earlier to re-confirm my reservation) and no one picked up the call. I had to walk over to Cafe Swiss and check with the staff over there. So yes, it seemed like they are only opened at 1230 on the dot on Sunday.

Sunday is local food, not exactly peranakan or international at all. It was an ok spread but I think the dinner or peranakan spread was better.

Brother took this plate for all to share. Errr...the fried stuff is not that great. I'm not a big fan of it.
My plate of appy or my version of appy :p soba was nice, sushi was average to bad. The sandwich thing was interesting - sweet. The green glass was actually avocado juice which I didn't realize till I had half of it. Not really my taste though I love avocado in my sandwich.
Again, my brother's plate. He just loves fried food :p
My main plate - the prawn crackers were really nice. Fried noodles too and the paper wrapped chicken.
I liked the mee siam too, the portion was tiny, just nice for buffet.
Cuttlefish congee. I just adored congee, my comfort food, especially when topped with bawang and spring onions.
Finally, the dessert plate - shared this with sister. The chocolate truffle cake was excellent. Moist and chocolatey. The spoon with pandan creme was good too, especially with the cherry and mandarin orange.
Mango mousse was nice too. Real mango sweetness.
Durian pudding. Very strong durian taste.
My nephew's fave. He had 2 bowls of ice cream. They were from Movenpick. Nice.

No comments: