Thursday, June 05, 2008

Asia Grand Restaurant

No pictures as it was a company lunch. But I was just so bowled over by the food we had at Asia Grand Restaurant at Odeon Towers. It was formerly at the Hotel Asia along Scotts Road and moved into the space previously occupied by Chef Chan.


I like the decor with its glass and luxe surrounding. Service was pretty good with attentive waitresses who would refill the tea and change the plates countless times without us asking. Then again maybe it was because the manager knew our bosses and we did order a lot of food.


The appetizer snack was a fishcake and capsicums pickled mix. Interesting. Our table loved the dried shrimp sambal thing that they refilled it many times and with huge portions piled on.


Here is a list of what we had:
Cold dish of steamed crabs (2 crabs with roe) - crabmeat was sweet and pretty good with the vinegar
Shrimp dumplings - the skin was transculent and filled with lots of prawns though it didn't look that big. One thing I realized was that you need to eat it immediately else the skin would harden and dry out and stick on to the paper parchment in the steamer
Siew Mai - pretty ordinary
Scallop and prawn dumplings - not too bad
Chicken feet - I didn't eat that
Fried shrimp with cheese dumpling - it was crispy and nice
Scallops and shrimp rice flour rolls - silky soft rolls
Steamed carrot cake - this was really good
Dough stick fritter wrapped with rice rolls - not bad, reminded me of HK breakfast
Fried cod dumpling wrapped with rice rolls - nicer when warm, a bit too oily when cold
BBQ pork pastry - this was also good


Like what the boss said, we were done with breakfast and to be ready for lunch :p Yup, more food to come.


Peking duck - it was so good that I had 3 pieces of the skin :p The skin was not too fatty and the plum sauce went very well with the egg crepe and duck skin. I loved the prawn crackers which were served with it
Soup - it was superb when with a couple of chili padis. The spiciness gave a kick to the soup. There were chicken, san luo fish and other stuff in the soup.
Oxtail Stew - I didn't really eat the oxtail as I am not a big fan of gelatin but the sauce was fantastic. The carrots and potatoes in the stew were good too.
Crispy noodles with duck meat - this was good though I was not a fan of the duck meat.

Then the highlight of the meal: kobe beef shabu shabu style.
This was the first time I had kobe beef and I could see why people raved so much about it. We ordered 2 plates of the beef which slices were amazingly thin and perfectly marbled. Initially I thought it was parma ham, the way it was presented. I tried it medium and cooked and they were still delicious. It was never too tough. It practially melted in my mouth. But too much of it could be a bit jelak. I had 5 slices and it was enough.

This was followed by a huge platter of fruits - pineapple, watermelon, grapes and chinese pear.

Our feast was shared by 10 of us. Too much food. Good thing I didn't have breakfast. But seriously with the kobe beef, oxtail stew, crabs, peking duck, I have a feeling the bill would be over $500 and probably closer to $1k. A big thank you to one of the directors for treating us.

I wish I could take pictures, especially of the kobe beef but being a company event with so many other people, it was not nice to do that. Oh well, maybe on my own when I am feeling rich :p

Location:
Asia Grand Restaurant
331 North Bridge Road
#01-02 & #01-05/08
Odeon Towers
Tel: 6887 0010

No comments: