Monday, June 23, 2008

Girls Night Out - Part I (Brussels Sprouts)

I love girls night out or girls day out, when we can just be totally frivolous and behave like kids again. Gossipping and sharing the latest news on the latest buys and sales and what nots. Men probably discuss sports and cars or who can belch the loudest. Women discuss clothes, bags, makeup and generally happy things like food! We decided to go to Brussels Sprouts over at Robertson Quay for a bite last Saturday. Actually Agnes and I were supposed to go to the National Musuem first but somehow we got stuck shopping, then Davis joined us and we just kinda carried on shopping. All good intentions of not spending money just flew out the window. So finally we made it to Brussels Sprouts and I ordered my very first beer! Not of the year, but of my entire life. I have never order beer as I don't like the taste of it.

Hoegaarden. That is the only beer I can stomach (I first tried it way back in 1999 or 2000 or something when I was thirsty and there was no water available at the club and I drank this from my friend's mug).
It just seemed quite fitting to have beer by the river and it went well with the beer battered onion rings and mussels. The onion rings were pretty good. Huge and with real onions. BK, move over.
We decided to order 3 starter size of mussels to share among 5 of us. It came with a free flow of frites too. Actually you can get pretty full from the fries. The devilled mussels - chilli padi, tomato, curry, coriander, lime.
Devilled mussel with onion ring. This was my fave mussel of the night. The mussels were very tiny apparently due to the season. Winter in Australia means small mussels. Actually some mussels were not very fresh and kinda stank.
Mussels in tarragon cream sauce - onion, parsley, butter, celery, cream, tarragon. It tasted pretty ok, the herbs were not overpowering strong. This was Tanny's favorite.
Mussels in A LA BIERRE BLANCHE - onion, parsley, celery, butter, hoegaarden beer. At least I think this was what we had. Livia ordered it. It was supposed to have beer in it. It was pretty ok also.
Agnes ordered the slow braised pork belly with mustard to share. I think everyone was taken aback by that. I had thought it would be Chinese style with crispy skin and dark meat. At keast that was the usual look when "braised" was used to describe the cooking style. I didn't try it, so not sure how it was.

Our first meal for the evening - mussels, fries, onion rings and pork belly with beer, vodka and tea.
Location:
80 Mohamed Sultan Road #01-12
The Pier@Robertson Singapore 239013
Tel: +65 6887- 4344

No comments: