Saturday, June 07, 2008

Golden Mile - Beef Noodles from Bugis

Someone told me about the beef noodles at Golden Mile Food Center, which is the one originally at Bugis before the place was renovated and all the hawkers disappeared. Her family has been patronizing the stall from its days at Bugis till now at its current location.

It is the best beef noodles in her opinion. Way better than Hock Lam and cheaper too. Hock Lam beef noodles prices have been going steadily up. A small bowl at Hock Lam is going at $5 and it is really tiny portion, fit for a kid.


With such endorsement, I decided to go over to try the beef noodles at Golden Mile (apparently that was the first place I had beef noodles too when I was a toddler, but alas, I don't remember that at all :p)

I ordered the typical set of beef slices kway teow dry with a side soup bowl of beef balls. The beef balls seem to be homemade and didn't taste synthetic at all. There was a bite to the beef balls. Pretty good. The soup was full of a beefy flavor.

The sauce was thick and viscous and it didn't turn watery at all at the end of the meal. I liked the chopped salted vegetables and nuts sprinkled on top. The beef slices were tender and fresh and not overly cooked.

Everything was good, except for the chili. Maybe I am used to the chili from Hock Lam now but I felt the chili was not spicy enough and didn't enhance the noodles at all.

I don't remember the stall number but it is located at the lower level of the food center, surrounded by the Malay stalls. The signboard does indicate it was from Bugis and there was a "Lost and Found" sticker or something on its stall so I guess it has been featured in the program before.

2 comments:

celest said...

mmm... looks yummy!
next time we're at bugis, let's go have this ok? i LOVE good beef noodles! :9

carolyn said...

Yup yup. There are so many good food stalls at the Golden Mile Food Centre.