Monday, June 30, 2008

Ayuthaya - The Royal Thai Spa

I had the most fantastic massage - it was so good that I almost fell asleep. I certainly dozed off for a while. I have heard of Ayuthaya, but somehow it just never really appeal to me at all. Maybe it is because I go to Thailand every year and there I will have lots of massages at a fraction of the cost in Singapore.

Davis has been looking for a reasonably priced massage at a decent place and when I saw the promotion for Ayuthaya Spa for DBS credit cardmembers, I signed us up. It is a 1-for-1 deal for an hour massage (Thai or oil).

We went to the Ayuthaya Spa at Pan Pacific Orchard (previously Negara Hotel) and the place was smallish. Not many staff too. There was no one at the reception and we had to go "hello...hello" before someone came over. The spa has 6 treatment rooms, of which 2 are couple rooms. The other Ayuthaya Spa is at Gallery Hotel, the first one in Singapore.

We had the couple room (usually at extra charge) since there were no available single rooms. The couple room has a shower and sauna/steam bath area too. It overlooks the pool so nice concept, except the curtains were drawn, so really makes no difference at all.

We opted for the oil massage and it was so good. The therapists are from Thailand so they are really good. Firm pressure and I do miss how Thais always start with the legs for massages. The therapists from the other spas here usually start with the shoulders. After the massage, I just wish I was in Thailand, so that I could just hop out to the pool and continue lazing.

The staff also did not do any hard selling at all. They didn't even ask if you would be interested in any package. So that was pretty good. But since I loved the massage, I was actually contemplating signing up for a package, so I was the one actually asking about it. So rare for that to happen. This would be good for me to alternate between my usual spa places.

No comments: