Thursday, February 28, 2008

J.Co Donuts & Coffee

Another new donut store is in Singapore, getting into the donuts craze action. Queues are still forming at Donut Factory - the store which started the donut frenzy in late 2006 - and sparked off several donut stores.

J.Co Donuts & Coffee is from Indonesia and opened an outlet at Raffles City basement. I passed by it several times the last 2 weeks especially since I was in Raffles City daily for Bikram Yoga. Somehow it didn't really inspire me to want to try the donuts. The smell something deep fried was very strong and seemed very oily. Also I was tired of the awful donuts from other stores which were very oily.

Then the text message from Sherie who totally recommended the donuts, especially the tiramisu flavor :p With such an endorsement, I just had to try for myself. Lol.

The shopfront with a cafe area for drinks and donuts. There are so many flavors of the donuts and the line does move quickly. There are around 3-5 employees serving the customers, it also helps to have a long counter so more people can see the flavors.

Many flavors were gone when I was there around 7ish pm. I like that you can see the fryer and the donuts making process. The donuts floating in the fryer and then being dipped or coated in chocolate or other toppings. Very much like Krispy Kreme style.


It was nice that they have many sizes of boxes so you can order less donuts and still have it kept nicely :)

I ordered 3 to try. A defininte must try is always the original glazed. That is like the benchmark for all donuts to see if it hit the mark.


From left: Mochino (I think - it has cappuccino cream filling and coated with belgian dark chocolate), Tira miss u (tiramisu filling) and Glazzy (glazed)

The tiramisu filling. I was surprised by the foam-like filling. It oozed out when I bit into it. It was pretty good but not my favorite. I quite like Mochino and the Glazzy was really good. Soft and not too sweet.

Comparing Factory Donuts and J.Co, I think J.Co has more bite to the donuts. Factory Donuts seemed to have shrunk? It looked and felt thinner whereas J.Co was thicker and equally light. Plus it really has a huge variety of flavors.

A nice place to have donuts and coffee or other iced or hot beverages if you have lots of space for calories intake :p

For more info, check out the website.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

J.co is BIG in Jakarta, even KK is not so famous since indonesian found KK there is too sweet.
You must try J.co's Green tea one.
and yes, i prefer this one than DF.
but I think i prefer KK oz to J.co

next time we catch up at J.co :)

carolyn said...

Hehe. Okie, let's go to J.Co one day. I want to try the Green Tea donut :p

celest said...

ooh.. looks yummilicious!!
and i like the idea that they have a sit-in area too (though i suspect we'd never get a place)...

yay to more good quality donut stores! i don't eat that many donuts but just love buying the dozen and seeing how pretty they all look.. hehe. i sooo miss KK.

let's all go together sometime (when i can make it :P) - i'd LOVE to try the green tea too!