Sunday, February 17, 2008

Marutama Ramen

The real lunch I had on Thursday with Davis. Yup, I was saving my stomach for ramen, hence the light brunch at Pasta de Waraku earlier.

I first tried it earlier this year when Adam was in town. The yaki char siu was to die for then and I had been raving and drooling over the melt in your mouth meat with the crispy sides. The ramen which I topped up with the pork belly was not too bad. The pork belly was too meaty and porky for my liking.

This time I ordered the spicy chicken broth ramen with the egg. The egg was really good, now I understand why it was highly-raved. The egg was not the usual hard-boiled egg ala those served in Ajisen. Instead the egg had a 3/4 soft runny yolk (not too runny) and soft hard boiled egg white. It was real yummy though a bit salty but it went well with the ramen.

The yaki char siu which I loved the other time. Unfortunately I don't like it now. Maybe because the slices were thicker and thus not as soft as previously. Definitely no melt in your mouth quality to it. It was still soft but just different.

The price went up too. It used to be 5 thin slices for $5 (?) but now it cost $6 for 4 thicker slices. Over all, the ramen was not bad. Can be a bit pricey since you pay extra for additional add-ons to the basic bowl ($12) in either spicy chicken or chicken broth. I like that there is a jug of water on each table so you can top up your glass. There is also a container of fried garlic to add into the ramen. I didn't particularly like that. Not really a garlic fan :p

Marutama Ramen
6 Eu Tong Sen Street #03-90
The Central
Tel: 6534-8090

No comments: