Saturday, February 16, 2008

Shokudo Japanese Food Bazaar

Davis and I tried out the new Japanese eatery at the basement of Raffles City called Shokudo Japanese Food Bazaar on Tuesday after my Bikram Yoga session. The concept is similar to Marche, where you are given a card to swipe your orders at various counters. You also get a wooden token to reserve the table of your choice.

The place is fairly big with even a kids' area near the cashiers/exit. The tables and stools are lower and there were some games on the tables to occupy the children too. That is a neat idea.

I didn't bring my camera so the pictures were taken from my phone. Quality is not that great.


I decided to try the bbq eel rice in bamboo pot after reading rave about it in the papers. Also tried the beef in hot pot after seeing another person having it. When in doubt, look at what others are ordering too :p

The beef hot pot. The beef was very tender and reminded me of the beef in Yoshinoya beef bowl. There were potatoes and bean vermicelli and onions in the broth. It went well with the bbq eel rice.
Very blurry pic of the bbq eel rice. The portion was small as the dish was not deep. There were only 3 pieces of the bbq eel and 3-4 pieces of seasoned mushrooms. I liked this! The rice was really infused with the bamboo fragrance and had a woody taste. The mushrooms were very tasty too, I liked the sweet taste.

This was the highlight for me. I initially wanted to try the crepe but after seeing the final products of other customers' orders, I was not impressed. I prefer crepe to be a bit crispy not soggy soft. Then I was looking to see if they serve the typical dessert of green tea ice cream with red bean. Nope, not available. So I decided to order the homemade cheesecake which was also highly raved in the papers.

That was fantastic! The cheesecake was not too sweet or cheesey at all. It was so light and soft. The berry drizzle on top complemented the cheesecake. The crust was crumbly and a bit too sweet for me, but over all, that was the best dish :)


Location:
Shokudo Japanese Food Bazaar

Raffles City Basement 1.

No comments: