Friday, February 01, 2008

Teochew Restaurant Huat Kee

I so rarely post on Chinese food as somehow I don't really eat out at Chinese restaurants with friends. Lol. Maybe it is because we always go to Chinese restaurants when eating out with the family. So far it has always been to the same old places - Chinese Restaurant at Raffles Town Club, Prima Revolving Tower and a few other along Amoy Street where we go maybe once or twice a year. The usual places are really RTC and Prima Tower now.

We went to this place - Teochew Restaurant Huat Kee - last week. Apparently it used to be a small cze char place in some area and it has expanded and become a full fledged restaurant along Amoy Street. It serves very pure authentic Teochew food - not that I really know :p My Chinese food taste buds have been exposed to too many different variations that I just lumped it all as Chinese food.

There are 3 levels, with a tiny elevator too. Pretty cool, eh? There are private dining rooms. The table in the room is able to hold 14 or 15 people. Good for big groups.



I so love love love this dessert! I was craving for mooncake (I didn't get to celebrate it last year or had much of it because I was already in Canada and there was no snowskin mooncake over there) and this pastry is like mooncake, especially the filling. Lotus seeds and red bean paste below wrapped in a flaky pastry crust. It is super sweet too, so we had very bitter tea to neutralize the sweetness.

The lotus seed/red bean paste pastry. We wanted the crystal dumpling version initially but the chef was not around, so this is the pastry version. I think I prefer this version to the dumpling :p


Appetizers of some jelly fish thing and a popiah but with different stuffing. Not really to my liking.

The spring roll with different filling which I didn't like much.

Jellied pork something. I didn't try this at all. This is a totally Teochew dish

Bean sprouts for the shark fin soup

Shark fin soup with bean sprouts. It is very different from the usual style, this is much clearer and lighter. I like it.
Suckling pig. I only had 1 piece, too porky fatty for me :p

Goose with bean curd. I like the bean curd. The sauce is extremely salty though.

I took this picture too late. It was a huge fish. Fresh.

Veggies and abalone mushrooms. I love the mushrooms, not sure what veggies they were but they were bitter.

Close up look.
This was pretty good. E-mee with prawns and veggies.

The ultimate Teochew dessert - Or Nee (Yam Paste) with gingko nuts and pumpkin. This was so so so good too.
For more information:

2 comments:

Camemberu said...

Oh wow, what a feast!!! I love that kind of mooncake too - in a pastry. Darn, I don't see it on their online menu though...

carolyn said...

I think the pastry was a "special"? I think what they have largely depends on the chef that day. Maybe you could ask if they have it when you are there :)

It is certainly very good. I love it!