Saturday, February 02, 2008

Shangri La - Rose Veranda

I found a perfect place to kill 6 hours on a weekday afternoon. If you ever found yourself with time to spare or if you just want a nice, comfortable and quiet place to chill during the afternoon, Rose Veranda at Shangri-La is the ideal location.

I was sold by the idea of the 101 varieties of tea at Rose Veranda. I am still searching for my Prince of Wales (tea, that is) ever since I tried it way back in 2000 or so at The Regent. The Prince of Wales tea is described as the "burgundy" of all teas and is absolutely gorgeous. It is a mild tea which doesn't get bitter even after being steeped in hot water for the entire afternoon. It retains its flavor and fragrance. Unfortunately The Regent changed its tea selection a few years back and so I have been searching for the Prince of Wales ever since. I have yet to find it in Singapore. I found a box under Lipton or Twinings but it somehow didn't taste the same.

So I was excited by the 101 choices at Rose Veranda. Alas, despite the many selections, there isn't any Prince of Wales either. But there is a Queen's tea (which I didn't try as I chose the rose petals tea instead :p)

The lunch/tea starts from 12noon till 6pm on weekdays which is really nice as you don't feel rushed at all. You can really have a leisurely lunch or tea, have a natter with girlfriends or just bring along a book and read. The food selection is not as wide as The Line or other buffet places but it is good enough. Face it, you will never be able to really try everything anyway.

I thought the food selection is just nice. Two dessert tables filled with 3-4 cakes, 2 types of scones, some dessert cups, pralines, small chocolate dip for marshmallows and strawberries, cookies, bread and butter pudding, etc.

A small table with Japanese food - 4 types of sushi, salmon sashimi and all sorts of gingers/pickles

The long table with the proper cooked food - just an assortment of salad, cheeses, bread, crackers, dim sum basket (rotating change of items), finger food, starters, mee rebus, naan, corn rice, 2 types of curries, some mains.

Another small table with fresh cream of mushrooms (definitely not out of a can) with a subtle mushroom flavor and not overly creamy jelak taste, roasted pork belly and char siew (the chef will slice for you).

The plus point is the tea. You can actually change the tea and get to try various types and it is refillable for iced tea. I didn't change my tea as I was happy with it and it was a huge pot but my gfs got to try various iced teas.

The table setting with Wedgwood tea set

Japanese counter

My 1st plate (chicken curry, spicy fish fillet, naan, eel with wakame and ginger, vietnamese raw spring roll, cauliflower au gratin and green curry chicken) - the fish is really good

My 2nd plate (ham/cheese sandwich, popiah, mini crabcake with real crabmeat, grilled tomato, sushi, salmon sashimi, duck) - the salmon sashimi and sushi and crabcake are so yummy and fresh
Dessert counter
T's dessert plate (I shared the cakes with her)

My dessert plate - all the mini chocolatey and sweet stuff


Actually I was quite impressed with myself as I definitely ate so much lesser than when I was younger. Hahaha, must be really old age :p Now it is all about sharing the food cos usually you just want a bite or two to try, not necessary to polish off the entire thing.

Things I had which I didn't take pictures of - more salmon sashimi and a couple of sushi, small serving of the mee rebus (not bad, with toppings of quail egg, tau pok, sliced green chilies, coriander), a small serving of the mushroom soup, 1 piece of the roasted pork belly (very crispy skin, really good), 1 scone with jam and clotted cream, taste of the bread and butter pudding and another chocolate dipped strawberry.

There were so many more things which I didn't get to try :p

It is definitely a place I don't mind going again on a weekday, just because I can spend 6 hours there if I want to. Weekends and public holidays will be 2 seatings.

Location
Rose Veranda (Level 2)
Shangri-La Hotel
Tel: 6213-4486

No comments: