Saturday, January 05, 2008

Bangkok Jam / Toastbox

I actually walked to Great World City from Far East Plaza this afternoon. I decided that will be my exercise for the day instead of going to the gym. It didn't take that long but it was a bit warm with the sun beating down. It was about 30mins maximum, not a strenuous exercise at all. Lol. In fact it was only about 15 to 20mins from Borders to Great World City.

I was quite amazed at myself, I think I am so used to walking now after Canada. I walked a lot over in Vancouver, especially along the seawall at Coal Harbour. Even SC commented that I seemed to be dressing down ever since I came back from Canada. Always in casual togs.

I chilled at Toastbox in Great World City. Enjoying iced coffee (it is good!) while reading my book. The mee siam was good too. Tangy rich gravy with fine bee hoon topped with diced dried beancurd, hae bee (dried shrimps) and half a hard boiled egg. The portion is small and it costs $3.20 for that. The bad thing about staying in Toastbox for long is that your clothes will smell of the food. Not ideal.

Met up with Celest later in the afternoon and we had dinner at Bangkok Jam since I have a $15 voucher, AMEX promotion. Bangkok Jam serves a mish mash of food - Thai, Japanese, Western. I have already read reviews of the place and it was not that great though the place was packed. Probably due to the voucher promotion as we saw several tables utilizing the vouchers too. Lol.

We ordered the lobster bisque, fried chicken wings, Khao Soi (crispy noodles in curry with chicken) and beef curry with rice.

Lobster bisque (7.90) - It tasted more like spicy water with prawny flavor. Only the garlic bread is good. Soft fluffy bread. Island Cafe crab bisque is way superior. We didn't even finish the soup.

Fried Chicken Wings ($8.90) - the star of the 4 dishes. It looked like a lot of wings but they actually halved each wing and deep fried individually. Can be convenient as you only have 1 bone each. There are about 6 whole wings in there. It is very nice when warm, so eat it while it is hot. A bit salty for my taste but still crispy good.

Beef curry with rice and achar ($9.90) - The curry is good, very creamy with a hint of sweetness and spice. There are ony 4 small pieces of beef, however the beef is way overcooked. A bit tough to chew. There are a couple of small pieces of carrot and potatoes. The achar is super sour.

Celest ordered this - crispy noodles in curry (khao soi - $10.90). The curry is very sweet, and there is too much yellow noodles (they use mee pok) which absorbed the gravy very quickly making it very rich to finish. I can hardly see the pieces of chicken in the dish. She didn't finish this at all.

So the reviews were pretty accurate. The food is not that fantastic. Ambience and service are good though. The olive fried rice and the fried kway teow ordered by tables around us looked pretty good. The calamari, bentos and fish and chips (also ordered by other tables) didn't look that appetizing.

No comments: