Monday, January 21, 2008

My One Regret

Banyan Tree Maldives Sandbank Dining
Banyan Tree Maldives

Bedroom view in the villa
See the rays swim right up to you
I don't think I have many regrets in my life, in the way I led or spent it. But the one regret that still haunts me is not joining my gf at Banyan Tree Maldives when she invited me. I just had to buy my own air ticket (around S$800 or less) and everything else is provided for. She was going there for a site recce, so I can share the villa with her.

That was in April/May 2003. I was not working then, and just came back from a semi-backpacking trip in East Coast Australia (Cairns to Sydney). Then my concern was more with looking for a full time job and trying not to spend more money even though I could afford the air ticket. And I thought I could always make it there on my own someday.

Well, so many years have passed and I still have yet to make it to the Maldives. And now the cost of going there has gone up tremendously. More than doubled, I believe, especially if I want to stay in Banyan Tree Maldives. It has increased ever since the Tsunami of 2004.

Maybe that explains why I always do things which seemed "unwise" or outlandish or just plain crazy. I never want to have anymore regrets. You only do live once. So when you have the chance to do something, just go for it and worry about the outcome later.

It can be quite boring to stay on the tried and true and conventional path. I like my life as it is. Free and uncluttered. To experience life and all its wonders.

No more regrets.
Pictures from Banyan Tree website

No comments: