Saturday, March 15, 2008

Penang Hawkers Food @ York Hotel

The Penang Hawker Food is back in Singapore at the York Hotel. I have always seen the banner hanging outside Goodwood Park Hotel throughout the years but I have never been that keen to want to try. It is like, I would like to try, but it is such a hassle. However, I am not sure why but I have been craving for Penang food recently and have been waiting for the next Penang Hawker Food fair or buffet.

Googling for information on Penang food revealed that the buffet at York Hotel usually coincides with the school holidays. Other choices would be the buffet at Copthorne King's Hotel or the restaurant (Penang Place) all the way inside International Business Park which are too far and inconvenient for me.

I was delighted when I read from the papers that the Penang Hawkers Food buffet is back at York Hotel from 7 to 23 March 2008. So we went there for lunch today. I was a bit disappointed by the spread as there were only 10 items and beverages were not included (tea, coffee and others available at promotional rate of $3.50++) in the price ($23.80++). I had expected more since the press release said there would be more after naming some dishes. Also, I was probably expecting the type of spread at Penang Place or the Copthorne King.

Char Kway Teow - not too bad, a bit salty. The prawns were tiny and the cockles not so fresh.
Penang Laksa - I like this. Tangy with a pretty strong prawn paste taste.
Penang Prawn Noodle - I think I like the lard more than anything. Soup was alright, the lard made it tasty. The prawns were hard and small.
Lor Bak - I don't see any meat at all, so I am not sure why it is called Lor Bak. It seemed to be like ngoh hiang type of food.
Kang Kong Squid - I am never a big fan of this dish though I like the crushed peanuts and kang kong
Oyster omelette - Not too bad but the chili is so wrong. I only like the egg with coriander and green onions. The oysters were not fresh and were hard, seemed to be frozen or from the can.
Rojak - it is fruit rojak, not too bad, quite refreshing.
Kway Teow Soup - It looked boring but it was actually tasty. I liked it. Reminded me of the kway teow soup I had in Taiping near Penang.Peanut Pancake - my favorite dish. It was very thin and crispy and there was butter together with the crushed peanuts and sugar filling

We shared the pancakes and had second helpings too.

Chendol - Light coconut taste, not too jelak
Ice Ball - so rare to see this now. Pretty, isn't it?
Ice Kacang - Lovely rose syrup over the ice. I have not had this in so many years now. Never a big fan so I didn't finish it.

Overall, the food was ok. Some nice dishes and some could definitely be better. I would say I like the peanut pancake, penang laksa and kway teow soup the most. The oyster omelette and char kway teow would be next, followed by prawn mee. The rest were not that memorable. I don't think I will be going there again for subsequent Penang food. Will try Penang Place next as it looked so much better.

1 comment:

CK Lam said...

If you like nice hawker food, tk a holiday up to Penang. The taste here is definitely different fr those sold in S'pore.

Btw, you hv a very interesting blog.