Monday, October 29, 2007

Queen Elizabeth Park, Vancouver (Part I)

Queen Elizabeth Park in Vancouver is my favorite park. It is the first park I went to when I first touched down in Canada way back in April 1994. Obviously I didn't have a clue back then where I was. I was tired, bleary and had to transit for 8 hours before going to Toronto. Luckily everything was arranged for us, so we just got on the bus and went around sightseeing a little bit. I remembered going to Gastown, the QE Park with its duck pond, a Chinese restaurant (probably in Richmond) which served terrible Chinese food. Then back to the airport to wait for the night flight to Toronto.

QE Park has this wall, near the Bloedel Conservatory which offered a fantastic view of the city. Since I never knew where I was back in 1994, I never once went to QE Park in the years since until 2000 when Peter brought mother and I there. And I remembered the place ever since. So it kinda became a "tradition" for me to take a picture at the wall with the city in the background. A pity I do not have the pictures taken in 1994 and 2000 in digital copy, else it will make a nice comparison of the city (then and now).

We took advantage of the nice weather on Friday (26 October) to go have a walk in QE Park. Plus also the opportunities to take pictures. The flowers have more or less died, but it is still very nice. The duck pond is still there with ducks, mallards and sea gulls. Squirrels were darting between the trees. Very tranquil.


The squirrel running up and down the tree and examining the ground

A handkerchief tree, looks normal to me.

Three different types of birds in the duck pond.

No comments: