Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Seawall

Canada Place, Little House on Stilt with Stanley Park in background, Seabus and containers, Seaplane

Waterfront apartments, pink boat nestled in sea of white, view of Stanley Park from jetty

Leaves falling, view of North Shore, Steamboat

I went for a walk all by myself yesterday as it was a marvelous day. Sunshine. Clear blue sky with scattered clouds. Calm azure waters so clear you can see down to the rocks beneath. Occasional slight wind kissing your face.


I took the bus down, had to re-learn the transit system. Addfare to Zone 1 is another dollar to my faresaver ticket (that means C$2.80; C$3.25 without faresaver). I was contemplating to go over to Lonsdale Quay over at North Vancouver, taking the Seabus. I have not taken that for so long and didn't particularly want to learn how it works again. So I stuck with the Waterfront area.

Got off after the SFU Downtown campus (I have not gone there yet; re-living memories of my evening classes there getting coffee from Starbucks at Waterfront station before going for class or having early dinner at the Vietnamese stall in the food court - I love the beef stew and spring roll there or getting a muffin if it is a morning class) and started walking aimlessly. I had no fixed agenda, a rarity in my life.

I am always so organized, everything I do has a purpose. Especially arranging my errands all in a day. But here....I find I have all the time to spare now. I can afford to just go where I fancy. I didn't look at the map. I have no real destination in mind. It was a toss up to go to English Bay/Kits area or stick to Coal Harbour/Stanley Park area.

So I walked. Walked past Sinclair Center and to the gateway of Gastown. As there were construction around that area, I decided not to go further and instead went over to the Waterfront Center. I sure didn't recognize the area now with all the construction work, gearing up for 2010 (Winter Olympics in Vancouver).

It was only when I was looking out at the Burrard Inlet towards the North Shore that I realized I was right next to Waterfront Station where the Skytrain and Seabus terminals connect. The first thing that came to mind when I looked out was the numerous containers waiting to be unloaded. Boy! That brought to mind BMT. Sad but true. I have looked at countless pictures of containers and ports while doing the BMT brochure that I can have nightmares about it.

I don't remember if there have always been containers here but I do remember the yellow sulphur out at sea. And also some petrol floating bay, for refining oil? I have no idea. So I was just staring aimlessly and thinking and just simply enjoying the view. I saw construction work going on for a huge center, near Canada Place. The sails and the convention centre. Now all these terms are so familiar to me. And it is here that it can look similar to Sydney (especially where the opera house is, reason why I was not so impressed with Sydney since I have lived in Vancouver for so long and it is an usual sight for me).

Walked over to Waterfront Center where there is a tourist info center. Picked up a few brochures on things to do. Bought a Caramel Machiato from Starbucks. C$3.60 for a tall. Somehow it tasted so watered down and bland. I think Singapore does a better job. Walked out to Canada Place and again just enjoyed the sun beating down on my face and sipping my coffee. Lots of tourists around. Then I saw a steamboat, similar to Stewords Riverboat. Lol. So of course I had to take a picture of that. I see so many reminders of my work now. First the containers, then the convention center and now a mississippi steamboat? This is a "working" steamboat as it moves, unlike Stewords Riverboat which is non-motorized. It was quite cool to see the paddlewheel splashing in the water.

Then off I went. I had no idea what street I was on, I just followed others and walked. The construction work meant there were lots of detours as some streets were no accessible. Turned out it led to the Seawall. I so rarely explored this side of Vancouver that it was just so new to me. It was a fantastic day for a walk because of the weather. There were many tourists taking pictures, locals basking in the sunshine with their dogs. Dogs romping around in the field. People jogging or just strolling. Reading. Just anything to be outdoors.

Ambling along the Seawall, it took me to the Seaplane bays, it was nice. Watching the seaplane gliding on the water before docking. Walking on the jetty and feeling the tide moving the platform, I wondered if the floating platform is more "stable" in Singapore. Looking down on the clear water below and knowing it will be damn freezing cold.

I saw many more high rise apartments around the waterfront area. Walking on, I realized this is Coal Harbour. So many boats and yachts. I saw a pink boat and that reminded me of Davis immediately. Hahaha, I think she will like it if not for her seasickness. It was a nice walk, reminded me of Bronte Harbour back in Oakville. I could live here. Where the ground is fairly flat and with the water nearby, with the amazing view of the mountains in the distance. Now this is the reason why people love Vancouver (only if you live in West End/down town area). A city surrounded by nature.

I walked till it was hitting Stanley Park and I decided to turn back. I didn't really want to explore Stanley Park as it is huge and will take longer to complete the round. I walked back via West Georgia. I wanted to see the apartment which my mom bought (and released) previously.

So on I walked along Georgia until I hit Robson Street and decided to just window shop. Robson Street is a major shopping artery with boutiques lining the street. Had a cheese jumbo hotdog (C$3.50) from the hotdog vendor. I missed that. It was so good! There are more condiments now than before. Of course prices went up too. Then again it was a jumbo hotdog, there weren't any regular size. Couldn't finish it. I ate about 3/4 of it. The sweet scent of the fried onions along with the sizzling hotdog on the grill was simply irresistable. Now I know why Jenny said it was even better than the ones in NYC or other parts of States.

I went to Chapters. I love Chapters. It was my favorite store when I lived here. I have never been to the downtown store but it is huge. 3 levels with all books, CDs, stationery etc. Too bad the prices for books have not been adjusted yet but I did buy a couple under the sale section (below C$5). That concluded my walk in downtown.

I just disliked the bus thing. It took me about 1 hour and 15 mins to get back to the apartment. Maybe I am spoilt by having the bus stop right outside my house in Singapore. But it is a hassle having to walk 10-15mins to get to the bus terminal at SFU. Especially since it is surrounded by trees. I feel too close to nature up here on Burnaby Mountain where animals live. Bears, anyone? Give me downtown anytime.

I hope the weather will be fabulous next week so that I can go to Queen Elizabeth Park. It seemed like a ritual for me now. To take pictures of me sittin on the wall and have the mountains in the background and flowers blooming around me. So far I have pictures taken in April 1994 and May 2000. I have not taken any in Fall.

No comments: